It is recommended individuals eat a minimum of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Fruit and vegetable consumption depends on age, gender, weight and activity level, to find out what is recommended for you, visit, Choose My Plate.
5. Vitamins and Minerals. Fruits and vegetables are full of nutrients designed to keep you healthy. Fruits and veggies can boost your immune system, help grow strong bones and maintain healthy brain activity.
4. Hydration. The human body is nearly 80% water. Water-rich fruits and vegetables provide not only needed hydration but also natural sugars and amino acids lost during physical activity.
3. Dietary Fiber. Found in foods like celery and apples, dietary fiber or roughage, are the parts of the plant one can’t digest. This can help you feel fuller longer, move food through the digestive system, lower cholesterol and glucose levels.
2. Reduce Disease Risk. How can you help prevent heart disease, stroke, some cancers and lower blood pressure? By doing what your mother told you to do as a child –eat your fruits and vegetables!
1. Healthy Lifestyle. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables is a proven factor or a healthy lifestyle. But remember, the strength of such a diet lies not only in quality, but also variety. Don’t be shy, taste the rainbow!